Mon, 30 Nov 2020

Trump says Karabakh ceasefire 'is holding'

PanArmenian.Net
27 Oct 2020, 05:07 GMT+10

PanARMENIAN.Net - U.S. President Donald Trump said Monday, October 26 that the ceasefire in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone is holding.

Azerbaijan, however, violated the truce just an hour after it came into effect, shelling Armenian positions and civilians settlements and launching a new offensive in the southeast.

Trump's comments came after Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said he doesn't know how the U.S. President is going to react to the failure of a new ceasefire in Karabakh.

Armenia and Azerbaijan agreed earlier that a humanitarian ceasefire reached on October 10 and October 17 would take take effect in the morning of October 26, according to a statement released by the Governments of the United States, Armenia, and Azerbaijan on Sunday.

Azerbaijan, with help from Turkey and Syrian and Libyan mercenaries deployed by Ankara, started a war against Karabakh (Artsakh) in the morning of September 27. The Armenian side has reported deaths and injuries both among the civilian population and the military. Foreign and local journalists too have been injured in Azeri shelling of towns and villages.

Sign up for US News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!